Planning constraints

Site-Plan_02Do you need planning permission for your garden project ?
If you’re unsure if you need to apply for planning permission for landscape work in your garden why not contact me for an informal discussion? I can guide you through the process and submit plans for approval on your behalf. You may need to apply for planning permission for the following features in your garden:
You do not require planning permission if:
The decking is no more than 30cm above the ground together with other extensions, outbuildings etc, the decking or platforms cover no more than 50 per cent of the garden area.You can read more about planning concent for decking at the planningportal: decking
Garden walls and fences
planning-constraints-soft-landscapingYou will need to apply for planning permission if your wall –
would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere; or your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by an article 4 direction or a planning condition; or your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building.
The fence, wall or gate, or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage. You can read more about planning concent for garden walls and fences at the planningportal: garden walls and fences
Paving your front garden ?
front-garden-designYou will not need planning permission if a new or replacement driveway of any size uses permeable (or porous) surfacing which allows water to drain through, such as gravel, permeable concrete block paving or porous asphalt, or if the rainwater is directed to a lawn or border to drain naturally.
If the surface to be covered is more than five square metres planning permission will be needed for laying traditional, impermeable driveways that do not provide for the water to run to a permeable area.
You can read more about planning concent for paving your front garden at the planningportal: front garden
Trees and hedges
henleaze-road-back-garden-bristolMany trees are protected by tree preservation orders which means that, in general, you need the council’s consent to prune or fell them. In addition, there are controls over many other trees in conservation areas.
If you are unsure about the status of trees which you intend to prune or fell (or you simply require further information) you should contact your council.
You can read more about planning concent concering trees and hedges at the planningportal:trees and hedges
Sheds, garden offices, greenhouses
Under new regulations that came into effect on 1 October 2008 outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:
No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.
Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.
No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
No more than half the area of land around the “original house” would be covered by additions or other buildings.
In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
On designated land buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.
Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require planning permission.You can read more about planning concent for sheds, garden offices and greenhouses at the planningportal: outbuildings
Working with housing developers and self builders
tree-protection-planResidential landscape design is now becoming more important with many councils highlighting the need for a professional landscape scheme for a project. We can advise you on a sustainable approch and work with you to add value to your development. We have worked with small businesses within the Brisol area and submitted landscape schemes on our clients behalf. Our past portfoilio includes tree protection plans (BS5837), soft landscape schemes (planting schemes with management plans) and hard landscape schemes.

Comments are closed.